Lithium-Ion Batteries: How Green Are They? [The Answer Might Surprise You]
Lithium-ion batteries have seen a dramatic increase in adoption. Phones, computers, and even cars now rely on lithium-ion battery technology. It has become popular in large part due to its promise as a more environmentally friendly and sustainable energy option. Recent breakthroughs in lithium-ion technology have made the technology much safer, longer-lasting, and more affordable.
But are lithium iron phosphate batteries environmentally friendly?
Manufacturing batteries of any kind requires energy and resources, but lithium iron phosphate batteries have several advantages over other technologies in terms of resource consumption and safety, and they have great potential to help reduce carbon emissions when used in wind and solar power systems. Let’s take a look at a few of the environmental benefits of using LiFePO4 battery technology.
Environmental Benefits Of Lithium-ion Batteries
Undoubtedly, rechargeable lithium-ion batteries reduce our impact on the environment. Some of the many benefits of lithium include but are not limited to:
● Maintenance-free operation, with no need to monitor or top up water levels
● Partial state of charge (PSOC) tolerant, which means if operated in PSOC there is no damage (this is one of the leading causes of early failure of lead-acid batteries)
● Life span up to 10x longer compared to lead-acid batteries and a lower overall cost of ownership
● 25%-50% higher capacity than lead-acid batteries, with full power available throughout the discharge
● Fast recharge times and a 99% efficient recharge process, which means less wasted electricity
● Low rate of self-discharge, which means a long shelf life (up to a year between charges)
● And perhaps most importantly, LiFePO4 batteries are inherently stable and non-combustible, and they are free from dangerous and messy outgassing, fumes, and leaks.
Lithium itself is not toxic and it does not bioaccumulate like lead or other heavy metals. But most lithium battery chemistries use oxides of nickel, cobalt, or manganese in their electrodes. Estimates suggest it takes 50% more energy to produce these materials compared to the electrodes in LiFePO4 batteries. Worldwide, more and more companies are taking notice of lithium battery benefits, putting lithium technology to work powering innumerable applications.
They have big advantages over other lithium chemistries:
● They use no rare earth or toxic metals and employ commonly available materials including copper, iron, and graphite
● Less energy is consumed in the mining and processing of materials
● Phosphate salts are also less soluble than metal oxides, so they are less likely to leach into the environment if the battery is improperly discarded
● And of course, LiFePO4 batteries are chemically stable against combustion and rupture under nearly all operating and storage conditions
● Once again, lithium iron phosphate batteries come out ahead.
Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries offer the most efficient power source for:
The causes of global warming are still debated and difficult to pinpoint, but most experts name our increased reliance on fossil fuels as a top culprit.
Are Lithium-Ion Batteries Environmentally Friendly
So, are lithium-ion batteries good for the environment? Yes. Can lithium-ion batteries become even more environmentally friendly? Absolutely.
The technology and the process required to create the end product aren’t perfectly green, but it represents a major step towards a greener and more sustainable world. As technological advances reduce the cost of recycling and begin to power the very machinery used to make the process possible, we will see lithium-ion technology become the energy source of the future.
Until then we will have to settle for progress. No energy source is perfect. At least not yet.
Back in 2016 when BSLBATT first began designing what would become the first drop-in replacemen...
BSLBATT®, a China Forklift battery manufacturer specializing in the material handling indust...
MEET US! VETTER’S EXHIBITION YEAR 2022! LogiMAT in Stuttgart: SMART – SUSTAINABLE – SAF...
BSLBATT battery is a fast-paced, high-growth (200% YoY ) hi-tech company that is leading the a...
BSLBATT is one of the largest developers, manufacturers, and integrators of lithium-ion batter...
Electric forklift and Floor Cleaning Machines owners who seek the ultimate performance will fi...
China Huizhou – May 24, 2021 – BSLBATT Battery today announced that it has joined Delta-Q Tec...
Big News! If you are Victron fans, this will be a good News for you. In order to better match ...